Monday, July 13, 2009

Time Hollow

Earlier today, I finished a relatively unknown little gem of a DS game known as Time Hollow. I've had it since about a month after its UK release, and I finished it before and hadn't played it since. That is, until yesterday.

I was looking through the Let's Play section of the Something Awful forums, a few days ago, when I saw a post in the Sandbox Magnum Condom on the Flaccid Wang of Suck of This Forum thread (and yes, MCotFWoSoTF is its name as of late) by a goon named Graceful Graveler and it was a test post of the opening of Time Hollow. I gave it a quick skim but thought nothing of it (since I'm not in the habit of seriously reading an SSLP in the Sandbox thread), since if it was bad there was no point in reading it and if it was good it'd end up with its own thread and would undoubtedly end up in the archives at some point.

Then, sometime around yesterday lunchtime (GMT) I saw a thread on the first page of the Let's Play subforum entitled "Try Not To Become Your Own Grandfather in Time Hollow!" (link to the thread for those that care). This time I gave it a proper read and thought the game didn't look half bad and I swore I'd played it before but couldn't remember crap about it. I looked up at my somewhat small collection of DS games since it looked somewhat familiar and I saw Time Hollow on the top of the second pile.

Seeing as how I couldn't remember anything having not played it in months, it felt like a new experience to me. The gameplay is pretty much entirely touch-screen oriented but that's not a problem. It plays out sort of like an Ace Attorney game due to it's design, general structure, overall plot and the fact that it's one of those mystery-solving point and click games that are insanely fun for some unfathomable reason. Overall, if you like Ace Attorney (or Hotel Dusk apparently, which I have yet to play), it's worth either following the thread (linked above) or playing the game yourself. Just a caution if you intend to do the prior; sometimes the threads become inaccessible to non-members. It usually happens once a month for a few days to a week and a lot can occur in that time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment